Many small improvements in SoftMaker Office 2012
It’s not only the big things that make a new version easier to use. Many small things taken together can bring a significant step forward in ease of use, too. And SoftMaker Office 2012 adds many small improvements.
So, let the parade begin…
All applications in SoftMaker Office:
- Hide fonts: Most Windows PCs have literally hundreds of fonts installed that one either does not need at all (applications installed them without asking) or are only used in specific applications, such as graphics programs. SoftMaker Office 2012 now lets you hide those fonts from its font lists that you don’t want to see when working on office documents.
- Automatic update: From now on, you no longer have to search for service packs manually. Instead, SoftMaker Office now automatically checks in user-defined intervals if a service pack is available.
- New AutoShapes: SoftMaker Office 2012 supports all those AutoShapes that Microsoft added to Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010.
- AutoShapes in the clipboard: SoftMaker Office now also reads and writes drawing objects in Office Open XML format in the clipboard. As a result, you can exchange AutoShapes and drawings with Microsoft Office 2010, even if you use the new drawing features of Microsoft Office 2010.
- The File/New dialog box shows a preview of the document templates.
- Optionally, TextMaker superscripts the letters of ordinal numbers (such as 2nd or 3rd).
- When you enter an Internet address such as www.softmaker.com, it will optionally be automatically converted to a hyperlink.
- If you open a plain-text file, TextMaker automatically applies the paragraph style “Text only” (which you can modify to your liking).
- There are functions to search for the next or previous spelling error in a document.
- Numbered lists and fields such as “Page number” and “Page count” now support also Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic numbering systems.
- When you insert a page number, you may choose between the absolute page number and the page number relative to the start of the chapter.
- You now also edit fields: If you select a field and then run the Insert/Field command, the dialog shows the properties of the current field, and you can modify them as desired.
- When inserting database fields, you are now able to set the number of decimals, and you can decide whether you want a thousands separator inserted or not.
SoftMaker Presentations 2012:
- You can now access PPTX files (OK, that’s a pretty big new feature…)
- SoftMaker Presentations now read and write password-protected PPT files.
- You can create slide shows where sounds play across multiple slides.
- In master slide view, you can now easily copy existing designs.
I have already talked about many of the changes in PlanMaker 2012 in another blog post.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.