How SoftMaker Office for Android is progressing

The public beta test for SoftMaker Office for Android will start soon. We spent the last few months not only to simply port our software to Google Android, but also to design a new user interface that is finger-friendly and perfectly tuned to Android.

We have decided to use native Android control elements for the user interface (menus, dialogs, toolbars). As a result, SoftMaker Office is a true Android application with true Android feeling.

SoftMaker Office supports, of course, the usual menus that appear when you press the Menu button. It can be operated however much more quickly through toolbars.

In each SoftMaker application, you can find a toolbar with the most important commands at the bottom of the screen. Some execute a command directly, some open a secondary toolbar. For example, clicking on the “A” icon will activate the Formatting toolbar. It appears immediately above the main toolbar and offers functions covering the formatting of your document.

Care for a picture? Here we go…

You can click away the Formatting toolbar just as fast to reclaim the full display for your document. Other icons in the main toolbar open a menu directly. For example, clicking on the magnifying glass shows a menu for choosing the zoom level at which your document renders.

All applications in SoftMaker Office for Android support this modern user interface. You will be amazed how fast you can work with it.

110 Comments »

• Alex says:

Hi,

any chance it will work with ODF formats (in a future version, maybe)?
    No Android office suite does, and I hate having to convert every file I create on my PC to edit it on my tablet.

Thanks.

• [...] the company is working on a version of SoftMaker Office for Google Android. A public beta will be available [...]

• Florian says:

Hey guys,
    silly question – but are you able to give a timeframe of the beta release? I don’t want a date – I would just like a statement like “next week”, “in two week” or “someday next month”.

I look at least twice times a day for updates corresponding to Softmaker Office for Android – that’s why I would like to know it :D

Thanks!

Florian

• Gordon says:

Can’t wait to try! Hopefully it will be able to handle endnotes / footnotes as well as the WM version!

• [...] time believing that, but it’s their claim.) Read more about what they’re doing here if you’re interested. [via [...]

• admin says:

Florian, I expect things to get interesting in the next two weeks.

• admin says:

Alex, TextMaker already reads and writes OpenDocument Text files. The other applications don’t yet, because we prioritized support for DOCX / XLSX / PPTX.

• [...] è al lavoro su una versione Android della sua celebre suite d’ufficio. Come comunicano sul loro blog, il team ha passato gli ultimi mesi ad effettuare più di un semplice porting del loro software [...]

• admin says:

That’s the beauty of having the full SoftMaker Office running in the background: internally it supports all the features in MS Office files, even if there is no dialog box (yet) to change a specific type of object or formatting. As a result, when you save back, everything is retained.

PlanMaker supports the full 330 functions that it supports on all platforms.

• Florian says:

Thanks admin!
    I can really say – without having even bought it – that your responsing time to future customers questions is fantastic :)

Florian

• [...] tough time desiring that, though it’s their claim.) Read some-more about what they’re doing here if you’re interested. [via [...]

• Clark Thomson says:

I receive your newsletter, and was wondering how to become involved in the public beta. I am an old supporter from the pocket pc days and have always loved your product.

• miguel says:

Sin duda va a ser el mejor programa de Android.

• Trond Einar says:

I have a licence for Windows Mobile that I don’t use anymore. Will you offer a rebate for previous customers?

• admin says:

The plan is to offer SoftMaker Office for Android at a significantly lower price than the previous versions for other mobile platforms.

• [...] ogni ulteriore informazione vi rimando all’articolo degli sviluppatori http://softmaker.com/english/blog/?p=194 ShareAKPC_IDS += "8647,"; [...]

• [...] As you can see in the screenshot above, they will be adding a toolbar that will be within all of the applications. This toolbar will allow you to customise the document as these will be the tools that you would find on a desktop version it. They are aiming to put as many features in that they can as they want to make it to a near desktop experience. If you want more information then you can find it on their blog. [...]

• Rich says:

This is great news….. I do have one recommendation where in my opinion (I will not insult you by calling them the competition because they are not even close) the other applications mainly “documents to go” have fallen short. The use of the stock keyboard has several draw backs. The first is there is no way to have cursor control for selecting cells and text and to select items that require screen scrolling is jerky, and awkward at best. So some sort of cursor pad like the one found in usbr keyboard app would be very helpful.
    The second is that when you want to enter numbers in a series of spreadsheet cells every time you change cells it reverts back to the alpha keys. It would be very helpful if the app could recognize you are in a cell that requires numbers and bring up a num key pad and the alpha for text. And have a setting to select either “auto recognize alpha/ num” or “keep num pad until changed by user” or something to that effect.

• Serj says:

Great news!! I use’d SoftMaker Office since 2008 on Win Mobile. I’ll happy to try it ;)

• [...] de logiciel (bureautique traitement de texte, tableur et logiciel de présentation). Via le site softmaker.com nous apprenons qu’une version pour Android de SoftMaker Office devrait être bientôt [...]

• thelastnamehere says:

Will Cut/copy/paste be available in the Android version?

• [...] company hasn’t shared many details at this point. In a blog post, SoftMaker does offer a peek at how the app’s toolbars function. “You will be amazed [...]

• admin says:

Yes, cut, copy, and paste.

• Rich says:

Will the cut, copy and paste work from 1 spreadsheet file to another? With something like a paste special. This is something that is crucial for me and that no other application offers.

• Philip says:

You have the U.S. flag on the English language how could you possibly be taken seriously. There is no such language as U.S. the American continent has many languages. The U.S. doesn’t even have an official language. Why not the South African flag the Australian flag the Canadian flag the Indian flag and so on. If you want to be taken seriously and if you find it necessary to put flags on things you will find it is the English flag because it is the English language.

• Barry says:

Can I be a beta tester? I am a heavy Excel and Word user.

• admin says:

There will be a beta announcement in our newsletter.

• admin says:

Philip, our web site is written in American English (or at least what we assume it should be), so it is appropriate to use the United States flag.

• Don says:

Softmaker Office on Android is such good news! When I heard you were doing this it completely revised my purchase choice for my phone upgrade–I’m going Android with Softmaker Office. I am already using Softmaker Office on my WinMobile phone and my Netbook and love them. I was so displeased with Microsoft’s decision to not make Phone 7 backward compatible with WinMobile applications that I am not even considering Phone 7. You guys are fantastic!

• Vance says:

This is great news. I love TextMaker.

Two questions:

Will TM sync with DropBox like QuickOffice and Docs2Go?
    Will TM offer complete external keyboard support? (Shortcuts, navigation, etc.)

• Gordon says:

Any updates on when to expect the beta?

• admin says:

Support for Dropbox etc. will not be in the initial release, but is high on the list of features that we want to add. As for external keyboards, we already support those. If there is one that doesn’t work well with SoftMaker Office, this should be reported during the public beta test.

• Björn says:

Please take a note that there are many countries that can’t purchase applications through the android marketplace because of some weird regional restrictions set by Google, I hope you will have an alternative way so I can purchase this application.

• SERGHEI says:

Kann mann nicht varten! Hopefully this is the right expression in German. I’ve also jumped from WinMo to Android, had PM and TM trials for Windows Mobile. Knowing that I will switch to Android stopped me from buying it. It was actually WAAAAYY above the Microsoft’s mobile Office. Considering that this app is so late for the Android party developers must’ve doing great work. One of the features I would like to have is to convert TM & PM to PDF, just like WinMo version.
    Looks like the competition will be out of business soon :)
    Спасибо ребята за классную прогу! Habe ein bisschen geld dafür geßpart…
    Put me on a beta list.
    С уважением,
    Сергей

HTC Thunderbolt
    4G rocks!!!

• Sterling says:

I rather prefered that iOS had a higher priority then Android.

The Apple iPad and iPad 2 need a proper Softmaker implementation, as Docs2Go and QuickOffice are just too bare bones.

If Softmaker would have focussed first on Apple’s iOS then probably they would earn more money.

• admin says:

Sterling, we have limited development power and could not possibly tackle two such ports at the same time, and we made the decision to go with Android. This does not rule out an iOS version in the future, of course.

• admin says:

Björn, we will also sell the software directly from our web site.

• Richard Harkness says:

Perhaps the most important question: Will the Android version of TextMaker offer Outline View like the Windows Mobile version–with collapsible headings? Microsoft really missed the boat on this count, having never offered this key feature with Word Mobile.

• admin says:

Richard, internally this is already available in the software (remember, it’s the full SoftMaker Office running), but there is no user interface for it yet. This means that it will not be in the initial release, but we can quickly enable it in a service pack.

• Richard says:

That’s good to know. Outline View is the single most important feature that made me switch from Word Mobile to TextMaker. It’s absolutely essential for longer docs. Is enabling this feature a high priority? How long do you think it will be before it’s “quickly enabled” in a service pack? I don’t relish purchasing the Android version and then having to wait months(??) for this feature–or maybe never getting it…That said, when I first learned of your software, I could hardly believe it could be as good as advertised. It is. Thanks.
    ————————————–

admin says:
    April 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Richard Harkness says:
    April 10, 2011 at 1:39 am

• admin says:

Richard, I am pushing for outline view myself. It certainly won’t take forever.

• John says:

With what versions of Softmaker will ir
    t sync?

John

• admin says:

John, I do not understand your question.

• Rich says:

Will the first version out support a paste special feature ??

• David S, says:

Still no news on the beta test?